Coronavirus: Press Release
Cambridgeshire General Practice response to COVID-19 Pandemic
The COVID-19 Pandemic is having an unprecedented impact on the National Health Service across the country, stretching services which were already struggling. Cambridgeshire general practice is adapting to these pressures on a day-by-day basis; reacting and implementing the expert advice from NHS England and Public Health England. Therefore, it is imperative that patients understand that they will see rapid changes in the way Cambridgeshire General Practice functions.
All changes will be designed to reduce the spread of the virus and minimise the impact of COVID-19 on our most vulnerable and frail patients. It is potentially likely that your practice may suggest that:
- Routine GP appointments will be suspended whilst surgeries concentrate on urgent care for the most unwell.
- Patients will see a move from face-to-face appointments to telephone and virtual appointments.
- Practices will move to a system where ALL patients will need to speak to a medical professional to determine the need for an appointment (telephone triage).
Chief Executive of Cambs LMC, GP Dr Katie Bramall-Stainer said, “On behalf of all practices we ask Cambridgeshire residents to bear with GPs and their teams during this period of high demand and uncertainty, and follow updates on practice websites and SMS messages.”
We would like to highlight the following from the Government’s announcement on Thursday 12 March:
- Patients can find information via the NHS website
- If you think you have COVID-19 symptoms please go to 111 online DO NOT ATTEND YOUR GP SURGERY
- Please follow the new NHS advice to self-isolate at home for 7 days if you have:
- a fever AND / OR
- a new persistent cough
- if your symptoms are manageable at home and you would not ordinarily require medical attention please do not call 111 unless your condition deteriorates.
- At this point in time GPs CANNOT test for the coronavirus which causes COVID-19
Cambridgeshire Local Medical Committee would like to thank patients for their understanding and thank all our front-line NHS staff for continuing to do the very best for Cambridgeshire’s patients under very difficult circumstances.
COVID-19 is a novel illness that can affect lungs and airways. It’s caused by a virus called coronavirus.
Cambridgeshire Local Medical Committee has a statutory duty to represent, support and advise Cambridgeshire GPs and their practice teams
By using this site, you agree that we may store and access cookies on your device. Find out about our cookies.
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.