We welcome all students to register at the Practice and have patients from all surrounding Cambridge University Colleges, Anglia Ruskin University as well as other higher education establishments. We are used to tailoring our healthcare to the unique demands of studying at Cambridge and are able to provide a holistic service by working with other medical and academic establishments that may be involved with your care. Please see the following link as to why we feel it is important to register at a local GP surgery.

We are very conscious of the term times, and your time split between being at University and being at home. Whilst we acknowledge that you will no doubt know your home GP very well, we feel that it is important to register at a university practice in order to support you during the demands of your course. It is also a recommendation of the University that it’s students are registered within Cambridge.

From time to time it may be necessary for your GP Surgery to communicate with your College about your health and the impact that this may be having on your preparation for exams. We would clearly see this as an important function of a university practice and would only be done with your express consent. Should you be in the unfortunate situation that you feel your health is affecting your studies, then please do come and discuss the situation with your GP, and also consider making contact with your tutor and College nurse.


Practice services for students and younger people

studentsOur practice provides  comprehensive services to support you while studying in Cambridge. As well as routine clinical appointments with our GPs and practice nurses, we provide quick access appointments with our doctors, which would usually be on the same day. We also provide a daily walk in service for young people with a practice nurse.

When we are closed, please call NHS 111 for advice. This service will advise you on where to go to access healthcare or will arrange for the GP out of hours service to call you. Please do not go to A+E except in an absolute emergency.


Physiotherapy is available from the NHS. It is now based at the Brookfield site in Mill Road. Access to physiotherapy is either via self referral (see useful links below) or via GP referral. Please be advised that some Colleges have access to a physiotherapist. Please speak to your College Nurse to see if this is available.

Sexual health, contraception and unplanned pregnancy

We provide a non-judgemental service for all of your sexual health and contraceptive needs including the ability to fit contraceptive ‘implants’ and ‘coils’.

In the event of an episode of unprotected intercourse, please contact the surgery, NHS 111, or your local pharmacist as soon as possible. Ideally this should be within 3 days but certainly no more than 5 days after the event- the earlier the better.

In the event of an unplanned pregnancy please come in to discuss the situation with one of our doctors to discuss your options.

Other information and services can be found in the table below.

College nurses

In some circumstances it may be appropriate to see your college nurse in the first instance particularly for advice on minor illnesses and support in times of emotional distress. The college nurse will also be able to advise you on whether your college provides additional access to other health services such as physiotherapy or counselling (above and beyond that provided by the University and NHS).

College nameNurse's nameContact numberComment
Christ'sJulie Kettle334900-34988(ext)
ChurchillJo Livingstone336000-36133(ext)
ClareHelen James766254
Corpus ChristiNo nurse
DarwinNo nurse
DowningSally McCallum334817
EmmanuelDiana Lloyd334296
FitzwilliamDee Williams762239
GirtonJackie Isbester/Alex green338937
Gonville & CaiusNatasha Kear332421
HomertonSandy Chambers747248
Hughes HallMaria Gloag46369No nurse
JesusJackie Poskitt339450
KingsVicky Few331650
Lucy CavendishDiana Lloyd332190
MagdaleneTaryn Rothwell330205
Murray EdwardsDee Williams762239
NewnhamAnne Schumann335705
PembrookeJan Brighting338122
PeterhouseKim Freeman338222
Ridley HallNo nurse
RobinsonKim Freeman339136
St Catherine'sDee Williams338327Porter will collect you
St Edmund'sTaryn Rothwell336250Porter will collect you
St John'sEmma Dellar338664
SelwynDiana Lloyd335898
Sidney SussexJenny Taylor338826
Trinity HallJo338471
Westcott HouseNo nurse
WestminsterNo nurse
WolfsonSally McCallum335901


Useful student links

Type of siteLinkFurther information
Choose wellChoose wellSupport and advice for accessing the most appropriate source of treatment within the Cambridge health system
Younger peoples charityCentre 33Advice on mental health problems, substance abuse and sexual health problems
NHS ChoicesNHS ChoicesInformation on NHS services and medical conditions
Health problemsHealth informationUseful site for looking up information on medical conditions
Local sexual health servicesSexual health clinicSexual health services independent of your GP surgery
ContraceptionFamily Planning AssociationAdvice on types of contraception
Alcohol informationDrinksenseGeneral advice on alcohol problems
Treatment of drug and alcohol problemsInclusion addiction servicesCambridge based treatment for those with drug or alcohol addictions
Information on recreational drugsAsk FrankInformation on drug taking
Problem gamblingGamble AwareLinks to support organisations for gambling problems
SamaritansSamaritansA useful organisation in times of desperation
Mental health problemsNHS Psychological supportSelf referral for psychological support within the NHS
Mental health problems (Cambridge University students)UCSTailored mental health support for students provided by Cambridge University
Mental health problems (Anglia Ruskin students)Anglia Ruskin linklinePeer led support services for those with mental health problems
Online Cognitive Behaviour TherapyOnline CBTAn evidence based validated tool to help with mood and anxiety problems
Problems with sleepSleep problemsA validated tool for helping with sleep problems
Student healthCamstudent healthSignposting for Cambridge University students
NHS PhysiotherapyCommunity physiotherapySelf referral for physiotherapy services. Information leaflets for the self management of common injuries
Travel healthFit for traveluseful information when planning a trip abroad- please also see travel health page


Change language